The New American Bible – Saint Joseph Edition

Bible Abbreviation: NAB
ISBN: 978-0-89942-972-4
Publisher: Catholic Book Publishing Company – New York
Publication Date: 1970; revised New Testament 1986; revised Psalms 1991
Pages: 1696
Binding: Bonded Leather
Size: 6.5” x 9.25’x 1.75”

Features: My copy of this version is the Deluxe Gift Edition - Full Size.  I like this edition because it manages to shoehorn in a lot of amenities without it being at the expense of the word of God.  There are enough pictures and photographs to keep young children occupied during services.  The print is large enough for those whose eyesight is less than optimal. There a lot of maps, most with a commentary to explain them.  Each book has an introductory section which acts like an abbreviated Bible Handbook.  The footnotes are excellent and plentiful. It has a nice Bible Dictionary and a Doctrinal Bible Index.  This is an outstanding Catholic Study Bible.

Comments and Observations:  This translation, for the most part, is quite literal.  However, they fudged a bit on the literalness to make it more gender inclusive. 

In some instances the translation is worrisome.  It does not take much reading to find an example.  Compare Genesis 1:2 with almost any other translation.  I provide the rendering from the King James and the New International Versions below:

“And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.” (Genesis 1:2-KJV)
 “Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.” (Genesis 1:2-NIV)

Now look at how the NAB translated it.  They removed God entirely from the event:

“the earth was a formless wasteland, and darkness covered the abyss, while a mighty wind swept over the waters.” (Genesis 1:2-NAB)

In fairness, the footnotes to Genesis 1:2-NAB clarifies the reading: “A mighty wind: literally, “ a wind of God” or “a spirit of God.”  Still, this just bothers me.  How many people read the footnotes?

Because of a recently released updated edition, if you look around, you can find this edition steeply discounted.  I picked up my copy for only $10 when it normally sells for $45.

Old Testament Comparative Verse: Psalms 23:1-6.
1 The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.
2  In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me;
3  you restore my strength. You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.
4  Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.
5  You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6  Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

New Testament Comparative Verse:  Matthew 5:1-12.
1When he saw the crowds, he went up the mountain, and after he had sat down, his disciples came to him.  2  He began to teach them, saying: 
3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
4 Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted. 
5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land. 
6 Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied. 
7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. 
8 Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God. 
9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. 
10 Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
11  Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me.  12  Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Weaknesses: 
Warning: I’m being nit-picky here.  The maps are nicely done.   However, instead of being gathered together into one centralized location, they are scattered throughout the text.  For example, the map showing the fall of Judah is located in Second Kings.  That is a good place for it, unless you are studying the same event in 2 Chronicles or Jeremiah.  Instead of just flipping over to the map section, you must try to remember where the map might be.

Strengths:  This is a very good study edition, with a solid mixture of maps, footnotes, commentary, black and white photographs, colored prints, and other niceties.

No comments:

Post a Comment